50 years ago today, I was baptized

First Baptist Cumming, GA
Worship  Bulletin - Sunday, May 26, 1968
On Sunday, May 26, 1968 - 50 years ago - I was baptized during the morning worship service at the First Baptist Church of Cumming, GA by Pastor Troy Acree, who was more lovingly referred to as "Preacher Acree." I was baptized with the sisters, Rita and Lisa Ingram; Lynn Raines; and Stephen Wood, who is today a pastor. Lisa and Lynn were in Kindergarten with me, and I still call them dear, dear friends today. (The worship bulletin from that Sunday morning is pictured. I was known as 'Scotty' then, and inexplicably the church office misspelled my last name. I've forgiven them).

I was 8 years old. We like to think that times were simple, but they weren't simple at all. Sure, we didn't have microwave ovens, social media, and mobile telephones, but our country was only six years removed from the Cuban Missile Crisis, and worldwide tensions were still high. We were deeply involved in the Vietnam War. When President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in 1963, worldwide news began pumping through televisions into American homes. The Vietnam War became very real, and a counter-cultural revolution was launched at home. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed and lauded, but not yet fully embraced. Just four months before my baptism, Martin Luther King Jr was assassinated in Memphis. Our country was upside down.

For me, and many children just like me, death became real. The first of my grandparents - my grandfather Yarbrough - died in April 1967, and his death and the world's chaos stirred within in me this reality: I am going to die. That reality was followed by this question: What's going to happen to me when I die? Is heaven real?

Despite the world's chaos, I was fortunate to live in a small town among people who loved both me and my friends very deeply. I was fortunate to have parents who drove our family 20 miles round trip every Sunday morning for Sunday School and worship, and often times returned on Sunday evenings. I was fortunate to be surrounded by that church of men and women who poured into teaching Sunday School, stepped up to lead children's choir, taught at a church Kindergarten, and led Bible Drills so we could memorize Scripture.

When my questions about faith began to stir, it was the faith foundation of family and church that pointed me to Jesus - his birth, life, death, and resurrection. I was a bundle of questions and anxiety when our church had its annual evening revival services.

I could not sit still during one evening service. When Preacher Acree invited people to step from pews, come forward, and make known to all a personal commitment to follow Jesus as Lord and Savior, I slipped past my brothers and my daddy and made that "long walk" forward as a statement of my faith to say, "Here I am, Lord."

I was then baptized on  Sunday, May 26, 1968, as an outward testimonial to a very real choice I made to be a Jesus follower. Today, I could take you back to the pew where I sat during that revival service when I heard Jesus say, "Scott, follow me." I could take you to the baptistery where Preacher Acree "dunked" me. Sometimes when I am home, I slip up to that church property and sit quietly in that empty chapel, and sometimes I shed real tears remembering the nervous little boy who sat there, reached for a Savior, and felt Jesus take his hand.

Have I lived a faithful life during these past 50 years? Certainly not. My faith life has, at best, been two steps forward and one step backward. I've made mistakes - you have, too. I've made faith-less, immature decisions that at the moment cost me dearly, but in the rear view allowed God to teach me about redemption, mercy, grace, patience, courage, wisdom, peace, love, and joy. I've also worked hard to lead my family in faith and point them to the community of faith that is the church. My sweet Vicki is a believer; all four of my boys are Jesus followers. Our boys grew up watching Vicki and me serve in and through the church - not just sit in a worship service. I've learned that to live simple allows more time for people and more time for relationships. All I need, all I need, is Jesus, family, and friends - and maybe a plate of brownies and an occasional pork chop.

I've had people ask me many times, "How do you know faith is real?"

How do you not know? In your quest for peace, what of this Earth have you really found that brings long-term peace and contentment? I would argue nothing because I know nothing is available to fill the empty God-shaped hole in our hearts. Jesus, however, is very available. All you have to do is seek Him. But, mostly, I know Jesus is real because I know that I know, and I lean on the words of Alfred Ackley's hymn titled, "He Lives."

You ask me how I know He lives?
He lives within my heart

www.scottdvaughan.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TEN: The blessing of a bed frame

SIX: The tomatoes have been good this year

NINE: Traveling with honey bees