People are kind-hearted . . .

I bumped into a friend who reminded me of a story.

Once upon a time, I was a young newspaper reporter, covering a crowded local election in a south Georgia community. I won't lie to you. I was so deeply embedded in that election that I had a personal favorite - I wanted one of the candidates to win. But, I had to remain neutral, obviously, because back then newspaper reporters at least worked hard to be neutral. The candidate that I privately supported had a big uphill battle to win, but I've always, always supported the underdog in everything.

On election day, I went to a polling location where I knew many of the candidates would be voting. The person I privately supported was walking out of the polling location and I stopped him.

"How do you really feel about your chances?" I asked him. "What does your gut tell you?"

"Every single person I've spoken to in the past week is voting for me," he said. "Based on that, I'm pretty confident I'll make the runoff and then we'll go from there." Fast-forward about 12 hours. He finished fifth out of seven candidates . . . he barely got 8 percent of the vote.

Uh, someone lied to him. A lot of people lied to him. A lot of his friends and family lied to him!

My friend, also an independent author, was lamenting the sales of his book - now published for 18 months. He had great expectations fueled by the enthusiasm of all those who knew and loved him. They had promised to read his book. They had promised that upon reading his book they would write a review for his book. They had promised to tell all of their friends. In his small-minded vision he saw a movie contract coming his way.

"People are liars," he said, smiling. "I just wasn't ready for all my friends to be liars."

He went on tell me that he had confronted some of his best friends, pointedly asking them if they had read his book. I winced at that and said, "I have never asked anyone if they've read my books. I also don't ask anyone whether they liked it or not." I respect that people read what interests them, and maybe my little books are way down on their list. Also, I don't want to cultivate a system of lies.

Why not, he asked.

"I believe people are kind-hearted," I said. "I believe they tell others what they want to hear. 'I'll vote for you' and 'Sure, I read your book' and 'Yes, I would love your asparagus and chives casserole' are easy promises to make, make someone else feel good, and provide little or no accountability. So, the lie is protected. It comes from kindness not meanness."

"I read your book," I told him. "I'm sorry I was late leaving a review on Amazon, but quite honestly I forgot about it."

He was just about to say something, when I stopped him.

"Don't ask if I liked your book," I said. "I wrote a good review, and let's leave it at that."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TEN: The blessing of a bed frame

SIX: The tomatoes have been good this year

NINE: Traveling with honey bees