Encourage others and finish well

Dr. A.Y. Howell Jr.
1923-2018
I was fortunate to grow up in a small town just north of Atlanta. In the rear view of my life, I realize what an idyllic place it was - this place I still think of as home. It was a place where a boy could open a thin county telephone book, searching for the telephone number of a friend from school, and his mama could deduce the number based on the last names and mailing addresses in the telephone book.

People just knew one another (and about one another) and lives crossed from school to church to sports to band to the doctor's office and, as I was reminded this past week, the dentist's office.

Dr. A.Y. Howell Jr. was my dentist until I left Cumming, GA to attend the University of Georgia in the fall of 1977. He retired the next year, 1978. For my first 18 years, he oversaw the routine polishing of my teeth, filled more than one cavity, and always made me feel like I could tackle the world. Dr. Howell died on April 30 at the age of 95. His beautiful wife of 72 years, Mrs. Montine Howell, survives him with four children and a very large family.

Dr. Howell was one of the great encouragers of my life, and I hope and pray someone says that same thing about me one day. Because, I feel that when we speak of "finishing this life well" we are speaking of a person known for being an encourager of others - someone who helps positively boost a life from one day to another. I think that's the goal of each of us - to reflect goodness, kindness, and encouragement to others.

Dr. Howell wasn't just my dentist, you see, he was a leader in my church, The First Baptist. He served as a deacon and taught adult Sunday School for more than 50 years. He was involved in civic clubs and in government service.

I want to tell you a few things about his influence on my life.
I never dreaded going to the dentist. He always took time to tell me that my teeth were perfect and that I should be thankful for it. He always asked me about my day at school if I saw him after a school day. He talked to me - not to my mama who was sitting in the corner. I had his full attention and I left that office thinking (knowing) he was my friend.

He had a great sense of humor. It's true that our children's ministry had this little play depicting the life of Jesus. One of my roles was that of Satan, tempting Jesus in the wilderness. I got so carried away with the role that I kept appearing (just as Satan probably did) in a lot of the other scenes. At the end of the service, Dr. Howell stood to thank everyone and to close the assembly with prayer, but not before saying, "And, the role of Satan was played by Scotty Vaughan." He always called me, Scotty.

Another time, when I was a teenager, I stood in worship to announce a churchwide activity being planned by the youth ministry of our church. Apparently, I went far too long in my announcement. Dr. Howell followed me, making his own announcement, and said, "The preceding announcement reminds me of a KISS . . . Keep It Simple, Stupid." The congregation laughed loudly. Later that afternoon, Dr. Howell called me - a teenage boy - at home. He apologized though it wasn't necessary, but then gave me some valuable advice - to write down the facts I wanted to communicate, and just keep it very simple so people could remember it. I think about him every single time I stand up to speak in front of people and I think of him and smile.

I wrote for the local newspaper while I was in high school and college, and I believe Dr. Howell read every single thing that I ever wrote for the newspaper. When I saw him, he would always, always, always, compliment something that I had written, tell me that I was gifted, and encourage me to "keep writing, keep telling the stories, and always be fair." He was always in my corner. 

In my late 20s, Dr. Howell and I had the opportunity to serve together on a church committee. In those meetings, we always sat by one another. He was retired by this time, and one afternoon he invited me over to his house to visit. I sat there with him for about an hour, listening as he coached me on the need to respect the calling God gave pastors, the importance of Christian fellowship and community. and that I should always serve somewhere within the church - no matter where I lived.

I didn't see Dr. Howell much at all after moving to South Carolina in 1991. In 2014, my dad died, and he and Mrs. Howell came to the funeral home to see our family. I was able to tell him how much he meant to me as a boy and a young man, and I was able to thank him. He was gracious. I will always think of him as gracious.

This week, when I learned that Dr. Howell had died, it gave me pause. It really did. But, I was reminded of this: "Whose life is going to be better because you lived today? Who can you lift up with encouragement and kindness?" That's the mark of a life well-lived. 

In this boy's eyes, Dr. A.Y. Howell Jr. finished this life oh so very well.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this touching tribute to a man I was lucky enough to call "grandpa"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Justin. Your family is in my prayers - prayers of peace and comfort.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TEN: The blessing of a bed frame

SIX: The tomatoes have been good this year

NINE: Traveling with honey bees