TEN: The blessing of a bed frame


This past Saturday, I decided to clean out behind our little backyard shed.

I looked around the back yard, looking for some little project to tackle, and the shed called my name. Behind the shed is the graveyard for things I don't intend to keep. I throw them back there because I'm too lazy to take them to the trash and recycling center. When the living dead of the graveyard starts becoming visible from the back deck, well, it's time for cleanup.

There was an old busted sawhorse.

There were two pieces of cracking PVC pipe.

There was an old dog kennel, with a missing door, from many years ago.

There was an old broken mop handle - or it may have been a broom handle. I'm no longer sure.

There was a rotten canvas thing the boys once used as a baseball target.

There was an old rusty discus from Andrew's high school track days.

There were various old, rotten wooden boards.

There was also an old garden hose.

And, there was a two-piece metal, adjustable bed frame.

After pulling everything into the yard, I decided there was nothing worth the time or energy of selling - except possibly the bed frame. So, I removed the bed frame from the pile and hauled the rest of the stuff to the trash and recycling center. I handed off the dog kennel to a man who said he could clean it up as an interior dog house for a rescue.

I went home to the bed frame.

Those bed frames sell for $50-$90 new, and I thought I might clean this one up and get at least $25 for it. I could throw it in someone's yard sale, and maybe split the cost with them. Even if it bought me gasoline for a week, it would be worth selling it. Right? Right?

About this time I checked the email feed on my telephone. 

"My husband has cancer and we are a low-income family. Our daughters are 1 and 10, and need a full-size bed they can share. They don't have a bed. My 14 year old sleeps on the floor, and we would love to have a bed frame for his mattress. It's hard finding help because of the virus."

I guess you know where that cleaned-up bed frame is going. I clearly heard the whisper of God.

There are hundreds of hurting people all around you. The next time you are inclined to benefit from stuff sold at a yard sale, think first, 'Who would Jesus want me to bless by giving this stuff away?'

(The artwork is from pastor Rick Warren's blog at www.pastorrick.com and the post https://pastorrick.com/hold-your-blessings-with-an-open-hand-2/)

scottdvaughan.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SIX: The tomatoes have been good this year

NINE: Traveling with honey bees